Sunday, January 26, 2025

frying bacon

 I fried bacon and sausage,

scrambled eggs, 

and made waffles this morning. 

I don't typically cook large breakfasts. 

My mama always did though 

almost every day of my childhood 

Fried in cast iron, a skillet she still has, though it has grown harder for her to lift now with her arthritic wrists. 

the smell of the breakfast cooking alone reminds me of being a kid

the aroma of waking up in a country house

my father's coffee in the background when he was home. 




I watched the chickadees out the kitchen window 

and mentally made a list of ingredients that will bridge meals

hoping to save a bit this month 

since I will be a few weeks without pay

so many weeks for this year.

when my W2 came back I had to laugh at myself

for all my traveling 

and trying 

I made less last year than had I simply worked here in town.

I am home

and I watch the birds out the window

and make imaginary grocery lists in my mind 

occasionally glancing at the hot grease popping over a slender slice of pork in the skillet.


No comments:

Post a Comment